Coconut Flan with Stevia
This sweet treat just got sweeter! Allow your whole family to enjoy this holiday tradition by substituting Sweetly Stevia for sugar.
Use Our Stevia Conversion Calculator to easily convert Sugar to Stevia!
- For the Caramel
- 1/2 cup Sweetly Stevia
- 3 tablespoons water
- For the Flan
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Sweetly Stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Garnish
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
For the Caramel:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a small saucepan, bring Sweetly Stevia and water to a boil. Whisking until all stevia is dissolved.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture is golden brown (about 5 min).
4. Pour mixture into 8 6oz ramekins until each has an even coat.
For the Flan:
1. In a small saucepan bring the coconut milk and milk to a simmer.
2. In a medium bowl beat the eggs, egg yolks, and Sweetly Stevia until light and foamy.
3. Add the milk to the egg mixture carefully, and mix in the vanilla extract.
4. Beat until the mixture is completely blended.
5. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins.
6. Cook flans in a water bath, such as a large roasting pan with 1 inch of water. Make sure not to get the water into the ramekin.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and let ramekins chill for at least 3 hours before trying to remove flan.
We found it easiest to run a thin knife between the flan and ramekin to loosen and prevent tearing. When done, turn upside down onto a plate and tap the bottom.
Toasting the coconut first adds more of a delicate touch. To roast, place the coconut on a baking sheet and place in an oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-8 minutes.