Healthy Sugar-Free Granola Bars
- Gluten-free Diet
- 1 cup Packed dates (heaping, pitted)
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup or agave nectar (sub for honey if non-vegan)
- 1/4 cup Creamy salted natural peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Sweetly Stevia
- 1 cup Unsalted almonds (chopped, roasted if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cup Rolled oats (gluten free if preferred)
- Other Add-on Options
- Chocolate chips (sugar-free)
- Dried fruits
- Banana chips
1. Process the dates in a food processor until only small bits remain. It should form a "dough-like" consistency.
2. If you prefer your oats and raw almonds toasted, now is the time to do so! Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Spread oats and almonds on a tray and toast for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. Let cool until safe to touch with hands.
3. Put almonds, oats, and dates in a large mixing bowl. Fold until mixed.
4. Warm the maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey) and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Once warm, stir in Sweetly Stevia.
5. Pour peanut butter mixture over the oat mixture and mix. Be sure to break up the dates so they are dispersed throughout.
6. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer mixture to a small pan or baking dish lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper (for easy lifting).
7. Press down on mixture until flattened and uniformly even.
8. Cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Put in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm.
9. Take pan or dish out of the freezer. Lift up on the plastic wrap or parchment paper to remove the chilled mixture from the pan (see how easy that was?!). Place on a cutting board and chop into 10 even bars, or however many depending on how big or small you prefer.
10. Enjoy! You can store these tasty snacks in a container for up to 4 days. Storing in the freezer keeps ingredients fresh!