Oven Roasted Chicken
Everybody loves chicken, it's a comfort food! Mom used to make you homemade chicken noodle soup as a kid when you were feeling under the weather, dad would bring the family to the annual firemen's chicken bbq, it brings back memories! This oven-roasted recipe is juicy and full of flavor. It is perfect for a weekend dinner or make multiple to feed the whole family (yes, inlaws too) on the holidays.
- Main Meal
- Gluten-free Diet
Use Our Stevia Conversion Calculator to easily convert Sugar to Stevia!
- 1 (3-3.5 pound) Organic Chicken
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- Pinch Freshly Ground Pepper (To Taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Sweetly Stevia
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 4 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 4 sprigs Fresh Sage
- 1/2 Lemon (Sliced)
- 1/2 Orange (Sliced)
- 1/4 Small Onion
- Bakers Twine
- Oven-Safe Thermometer
- Cooking Spray
1. Unwrap the chicken and remove the giblets from the cavity.
2. Rinse in the sink with cold water.
3. Place the chicken in a shallow roasting pan sprayed with cooking spray
4. Pat the bird dry inside and out with paper towels.
5. Melt half of the butter (1/4 stick) and spread it all over the chicken, front and back.
6. Season the entire bird generously inside and out with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and Sweetly Stevia.
7. Stuff the cavity of the bird with the cold butter, a wedge of onion, and a slice or two of lemon and orange and the fresh herbs (DO NOT over stuff)!
8. Place the leftover herbs and citrus around the outside of the bird
9. Tuck the wings behind the back of the bird, and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
10. Place an oven-safe thermometer inside the thickest part of the thigh of the bird but avoiding the bone.
11. Cover the chicken lightly with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 -60 minutes to marinate.
12. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
13. Preheat the oven to 375℉ and place the chicken uncovered in the oven.
14. Roast for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours or until the thermometer measures 160℉, rotating the pan ever 30 minutes to prevent burning. (Also tent lightly with tin foil if the bird gets too brown during roasting.)
15. Once bird reaches 160℉, remove from oven and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
16. Place bird on serving platter or cutting board and slice to serve.
17. Pan juices can be drizzled over the top of bird before slicing after slicing.