Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream
A tasty treat for all to eat! This practically sugar-free homemade pistachio ice cream is a terrific dessert to serve at a St. Patrick's Day party or for you to enjoy, well, every day! I know it sounds cliche, but this will be the BEST homemade pistachio ice cream you will ever make AND eat! It's creamy, thick, and loaded with flavor, and it's green!
- St. Patrick's Day
Use Our Stevia Conversion Calculator to easily convert Sugar to Stevia!
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon, 12 packets, or to taste Sweetly Stevia
- 1 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- 3 eggs and 2 yolks
- 1/4 & 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large saucepan bring the milk and cream to a boil. Stir in half of the stevia and reduce heat.
2. In a food processor, grind 1/2 cup of the pistachios along with the other half of the stevia until fine. Make sure to not mix too fast or too much, as you don't want to make butter.
3. Pour into the milk mixture, and allow it to continue simmering, whisking every minute or so.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs additional yolks. Gradually pour a cup of the hot milk/pistachio mixture in, whisking vigorously to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula until it thickens and reaches 170 degrees on a thermometer, about 5 minutes. Allowing the mixture to reach a temperature above 170 degrees will make your egg yolks chunk.
5. Remove the base mix from heat and pour it through a mesh sieve and into a large mixing bowl. Press hard to squeeze any leftover liquid from the sieve. Add the almond and vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Place over an ice bath and chill until cool.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, pressing it against the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (if you're in a rush), but for a better taste, refrigerate overnight.
7. Remove from the refrigerator and pour it into an ice cream machine or attachment bowl. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
8. When the ice cream has firmed, coarsely chop the remaining 1/4 cup of pistachios and fold into the mixture. Place in a freezer-safe container and chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
9. Drizzle some sugar-free chocolate and crunch some pistachios over each bowl before serving, ENJOY!