Who doesn't love churros? If we had our way, we would have this warm, fried-dough pastry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! But authentic Mexican churros are generously coated with refined sugar in addition to delicious, granulated cinnamon... Mmm, cinnamon... So, what's a churro-lover to do when they crave this crispy on the outside, soft on the inside dessert? Why, substitute sugar for an all-natural, sugar-free, calorie-free alternative, of course! Here comes Sweetly Stevia to the rescue with a healthy recipe that's sure to get your taste buds singing louder than a mariachi band!
Use Our Stevia Conversion Calculator to easily convert Sugar to Stevia!
- For the coating, mix together 1 tablespoon Sweetly Stevia and cinnamon in a dish, set aside for later use
- Pour about 1 ½ inches of vegetable oil in a deep pot or skillet
- Heat oil over medium-high heat
- While the oil is heating, start preparing the batter
- Add water, Sweetly Stevia, butter, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
- Add flour to the mix and reduce heat to medium-low
- Cook and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until mixture is smooth
- Turn off the heat and transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes
- Add vanilla extract and egg to your mixture and blend immediately with an electric mixer until it’s smooth
- Transfer mixture to a large zip lock bag and close it, leaving the mixture to one corner of the bag
- Cut the corner end of the bag with scissors
- Carefully squeeze mixture into preheated oil and cut the end of mixture with scissors
- Let fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side
- Transfer churro to paper towels
- Dab churro with paper towels to dry briefly
- Transfer cinnamon mixture and roll to coat
- Serve warm
Tried this recipe? We'd love to see it!